Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Allowing Him to be the Author

It's been a long time since my last post.

When I wrote my last post I was excited and was eager to write a series of posts about the revelation that God's been giving me, but then a funny thing happened.....life happened.

It's amazing how easy it is to allow life to stop us in our tracks. The funny thing is that it wasn't that I was sitting around doing nothing or that I was running around too busy to do anything, I just got distracted from what I had hoped to do.

For the most part it was good things that distracted me, Grace and I were moving back to NZ and starting out on our own for the first time as a married couple, and we obviously had a lot to learn about how to do that. Plus I took on a new role at our base in Oxford (which I've stepped down from after 3 difficult months because I finally accepted the fact that it wasn't what God wanted me to do and instead was what I thought I should be doing - BIG difference), and I had a lot to learn about what it means to be Matt and Grace in Oxford instead of just Matt (very different).

Distractions. They can come in many different forms and can so easily and often seem like something God is giving to you, but the thing is, even if something is a ministry thing or a real life thing that needs to be done, if it's not done in God's timing and God's way, then it very easily becomes a distraction. Even things that God has given you to do can become distractions if they're not done His way.

The things that have been distracting me and taking my time and thoughts and energy were, for the most part, all things that God had brought me - He brought me a wife and sent us back into YWAM - I just didn't always connect with Him and get my orders and priorities from Him and instead went with my own "wisdom" instead.

To be quite honest, I don't know what this blog is completely about, I just knew that I needed to write something, so I just started writing and allowed God to give me what to write.

I guess that could possibly be the point, allowing God to write our minutes and hours and days, etc, and trusting that He will walk us through them instead of sitting and figuring it out on our own in our own so called wisdom.

One thing that this last few months has taught/reminded me is that He needs to be the author of my day first and foremost. I have so many things that I can keep myself busy with, but if I am allowing Him to be the author of my day then I won't get bogged down by them or swallowed up by them, instead I will be subjecting them to His authority and allowing Him to dictate their importance.

I am so thankful that God has used this last season to remind me of the importance of connection with Him and of doing only what He wants me to do. It has been an amazing reminder and I am so thankful that He was so gentle in how He reminded me.

Always remember, He cares about EVERY aspect of your life and your day and He is more than happy to help you order your life. Spend time with Him and allow Him to author your day instead of just inviting Him into it occasionally (which is so easy to do). I'm sure this is something that He'll be reminding me of many many times throughout this next season and for the rest of my life, but I love His reminders and He has amazing incomprehensible grace for me.

He is so so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment